A& PA Staff Report
Nominations are now online for the finalists for the Army STRONG Wrestler/Wrestling Coach of the Year for Pennsylvania Campaign, honoring Pennsylvania’s best high school wrestlers and coaches.
Anyone can vote online at http://www.TheSportsFlash.com. Voting ends midnight Sunday, March 13. Winners announced on Monday, March 14.
Finalists are all the weekly winners in the 10-week Army STRONG Wrestler/Wrestling Coach of the Year for Pennsylvania Campaigns.
To vote for your favorite wrestler, visit http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm or e-mail your vote to ArmySTRONG.PA@TheSportsFlash.com with the name of your wrestler.
1. Geoff Alexander of Shady Side HS (1E5G) became the 20th wrestler to ever win four WPIAL titles, winning the 2011 103-pound title. Alexander is 169-21 in his career with three-straight WPIAL AA Championships in the 125-pound weight class. Alexander has committed to wrestle at Maryland.
2. Paul Bewak of Hempfield HS (1E1K) is 31-4 this season at 119-pounds, ranking second in the WPIAL Class AAA rankings. Bewak has committed to wrestle at John Hopkins.
3. Nick Bonaccorsi of Bethel Park HS (1E5S) is the school’s all-time leader in wins with 146. This season, wrestling at 171, Bonaccorsi is 32-0 and earned a title at the Powerade Tournament. Bonaccorsi has committed to wrestle at Pitt.
4. Jake Clemens of Wellsboro HS (1E7S/1E7V) is 36-0 this season wrestling for the Big Macs at 285-pounds.
5. Bill Emerick of Kiski Area HS (1E4V) is 31-5 this season 107-36 for his career with 65 pins with a single-season school record of 28 pins Emerick finished second at the Eastern Area Tournament; third at the Westmoreland County Tournament; and fourth at the Manheim Holiday Tournament.
6. Ronnie Garbinsky of Tyrone HS (1E7A) is 119-9 in his prep career with a 29-0 record this season with 21 pins while earning 168 points for his team this season. Garbinsky has committed to wrestle at Pitt.
7. Travis McKillop of Burrell HS (1E4V) is 42-1 this season and is a four-time finalist and a two-time WPIAL champion.
8. Zeke Moisey of Bethlehem Catholic HS (1E9F) is 30-5 this season with 12 pins in helping his team to PIAA Class AA Wrestling Championship.
9. Nico Megaludis of Franklin Regional HS (1E1I) is 159-1 for his career with a 40-0 record this season and is the nation’s top-ranked prep wrestler at 125-pounds.
10. Jason Nolf of Kittanning HS (1E4B) is 31-0 after winning the 130-pound weight-class title at the PIAA District III Section V Class AAAA Championships. Nolf also won the 103-pound title at the WPIAL Class AA Championships.
To cast your vote for your favorite Wrestling Coach, go to http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm.
1. Sonny Abe of Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS (1E5P) earned the week five honor after coaching his squad to the team-title at the Allegheny County Wrestling Championships with 225 points as six Vikings advanced to weight-class finals.
2. Patrick Berzonski of North Star HS (1E1E) earned the week one honor after leading his squad to the title at the Blairsville Dual Meet Tournament.
3. Marc Billett of Latrobe HS – (1E1K) helped his squad win the team-title at the 58th Annual Westmoreland County Coaches Association Tournament without winning a single weight-class title with 11 place winners to edge Hempfield 177.5-174.5. It was Latrobe’s first WCCA title in 31 years.
4. Vince DeAugustine of Hempfield HS (1E1K) earned the week seven Army Coach of the Week honor after his team clinched the Section 2-AAA title with a 37-31 win over Connellsville to improve to 16-2 on the season.
5. Jeff Karam of Bethlehem Catholic HS (1E9F) led the Golden Hawks to the school’s first-ever PIAA Class AA state title with a 38-21 win over Fort LeBoeuf.
6. Chris Mary of Canon-McMillan HS (1E5W) led his squad to the team title at the 44th Annual Powerade Tournament, ending Central Dauphin’s three year hold on the title. Colt Shorts (103), Connor Schramm (112), and Cody Klempay (heavyweight) won titles at the event.
7. David McCollum of Bermudian Springs HS (1E2M) won the week 10 honor after guiding his team to five weight-class titles at the PIAA District III Section 1 Class AA Championships.
8. Steve Powell of Easton HS (1E9C) led his team to a second-place finish in the PIAA Class AAA Championships. Powell won the week two honor after leading Easton to the team title at the Reno (NV) Invitational.
9. Ryan Yates of Burrell HS (1E4V) coached his team to the team-title at the Brookville Duals beating Ridgway (56-15), Mercer (61-15), Northern Lehigh (42-30), Reynolds (39-21) and defending state champion Fort LeBoeuf (46-22). Yates won the week six Army Coach of the Week honor.
10. Rod Wright of Boiling Springs HS (1E2D) led his team to the District 3-AAA title with a 33-25 win over Biglerville. In the semis, the Bubblers knocked off previously unbeaten Bermudian Springs, 34-20.