A& PA Staff Report
Nominations are now online for Week 7 of the Army STRONG Wrestler/Wrestling Coach of the Year for Pennsylvania, honoring Pennsylvania’s best high school wrestlers and coaches. Anyone can vote for the weekly winner online at http://www.TheSportsFlash.com. Voting ends at 9 p.m. EST on Thursday, Feb. 3. Winner announced on Friday, Feb. 4.
Six students were nominated from the following high schools. To vote for your favorite wrestler, please visit http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm
or e-mail your vote to ArmySTRONG.PA@TheSportsFlash.com with the name of your wrestler.
1. Jeff Clemens of Wellsboro HS (1E7S/1E7V) earned his 100th career win at the Lewistown Duals. This season, Clemens is 23-3, improving his career record to 104-29.
2. Bill Emerick of Kiski Area HS (1E4V) earned his 100th career victory with a 9-6 win over Latrobe’s Scott Mohring at 189.
3. Ronnie Garbinsky of Bellwood-Antis HS (1E7A) pinned Dan Noye in 2:21 for his 18th pin of the season and his 144th career win in his team’s 39-34 win over Tyrone. Garbinsky is 25-0 this season.
4. Mason McIntyre of Easton Area HS (1E9C) improved to 13-1 on the season in winning the 160-pound weight-class, 9-4, in a 38-14 win over Northampton Area to earn a share of the Lehigh Valley Conference title.
5. Austin Miller of Hempfield Area HS (1E1K) is a 119-pound senior with a 20-0 record this season and 126-20 in his prep career.
6. Averee Robinson of Susquehanna Township (1E3D) HS earned his 100th career victory with a 9-7 win over Penn Manor’s Evan Singleton at the New Oxford Tournament. Robinson, a heavyweight, is 31-0 this season with 27 pins and is 101-10 in his career.
Eight coaches were nominated from the following high schools. To cast your vote, go to http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm.
Remember: You can nominate and vote for your students and coaches on a weekly basis.
1. Marc Billett of Latrobe HS (1E1K) earned his 200th career victory on 19 January when his squad knocked off Indiana. In 20 years, Billett is 201-92. Latrobe won the Section 1-AAA title with a 31-28 upset of Kiski Area, improving to 14-1 this season.
2. Vince DeAugustine of Hempfield HS (1E1K) helped his team clinch the Section 2-AAA title with a 37-31 win over Connellsville, improving to 16-2 this season.
3. Dave Heckard of Cumberland Valley HS (1E2F) has coached his team to a 13-2 record after a 53-12 win over Carlisle.
4. Jamie Kryiazus of North Allegheny HS (1E5A) led his team to a 30-29 win over Butler to win the Section 3-AAA championship, improving to 13-2 this season.
5. Jon Mykut of Huntingdon HS (1E7A) helped his team to a 15-0 record after a 48-24 win over Penns Valley.
6. Scott Rhodes of Jefferson-Morgan HS (1E5W) coached his team to the Section 2-AA title with an upset of third-ranked Bentworth, 33-27, which avenged a 31-28 loss earlier this season.
7. Chris Mary of Canon-McMillan HS (1E5W) led the Big Macs to their 10th-straight section title, besting Waynesburg, 54-18, to improve to 16-2 this season.
8. Ron Wilson of Bellwood-Antis HS (1E7A) coached his team to the school’s first win in school history over Tyrone, 39-34. It was Bellwood-Antis’ first win over their rival in 34 meetings.
To nominate and vote for your favorite Army Strong Wrestler/Coach, please visit http://www.thesportsflash.com.