A& PA Staff Report
Nominations are now online for Week 6 of the Army STRONG Wrestler/Wrestling Coach of the Year for Pennsylvania, honoring Pennsylvania’s best high school wrestlers and coaches. Anyone can vote for the weekly winner online at http://www.TheSportsFlash.com. Voting ends at 9 p.m. EST on Thursday, Jan. 27. Winner announced on Friday, Jan. 28.
Nine students were nominated from the following high schools. To vote for your favorite wrestler, please visit http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm
or e-mail your vote to ArmySTRONG.PA@TheSportsFlash.com with the name of your wrestler.
- Patrick Bewak of Hempfield Area SHS (1E1K) is 19-4 on the season and 115-40 for his career. Earlier this season, Bewak won his first Westmoreland County Wrestling Tournament title, winning the 119-pound weight-class championship.
- Sean Bise of East Pennsboro Area SHS (1E2F) collected his 100th career victory, going 5-0 at the Juniata Duals, pushing his career record to 101-34.
- Garrett Hammond of Chambersburg Area SHS (1E2B) went 5-0 at the Gettysburg Duals, earning the fastest falls honor, recording four pins in just 4:54.
- Zach Horan of Nazareth Area HS (1E9C) improved to 26-0 this season with a 4-3 win over Walsh Jesuit’s Johnni DiJulius, a two-time state champion in Ohio. The win helped Nazareth Area to a 48-23 win.
- Michael Innes of Chartiers-Houston HS (1E5W) won the gold at 145 at the Tri-County Tournament, helping his team to a 3rd-place finish in the event.
- Bobby Manning of West Perry SHS (1E2D) beat Mt. Union’s Blake Morder, 6-2, at the Juniata Duals to win his 100th career match.
- Zach Nye of East Pennsboro AREA SHS (1E2F) wrestles in the heavyweight division and sent 5-0 at the Juniata Duals, improving to 128-13 in his prep wrestling career.
- Aaron Toth of Charleroi Area HS (1E1M) won his second title at the Burgettstown Tournament, winning the 125-pound title with a 4-3 win over Chartiers-Houston’s Andrew Vernau in the final.
- Joe Welk of Solanco HS (1E3A) won the title at 152-pounds at the Lancester-Lebanon League Wrestling Tournament, knocking off previously unbeaten Dylan Killian of Anneville-Cleona in the final, 12-5. With the win, Welk improved to 17-3 this season.
Six coaches were nominated from the following high schools. To cast your vote, go to http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm.
- Vince DeAugustine of Hempfield Area SHS (1E1K) clinched the Section 2A-AAA title with a 37-28 win over Connellsville. Hempfield is 13-2 this season and 4-0 against subsection opponents.
- Jeff Sweigard of Central Dauphin SHS (1E3D) led his team to a 62-3 win over previously unbeaten Carlisle, improving to 11-0, 5-0 in the Mid-Penn Commonwealth Conference.
- David McCollum of Bermudian Springs HS (1E2M) helped his team improve to 22-0 with a 50-18 win over Eastern York.
- Chuck Tursky of Kiski Area HS (1E4V) helped his team earn a subsection title with a 36-33 win over Central Catholic to win the Section 1A-AAA finale for both teams, improving to 10-0 this season.
- Tony Miller of Spring Grove Area HS (1E2M) earned his 200th career victory, a 46-12 win over Red Lion. Miller improved to 200-52 in 14 seasons at Spring Grove.
- Ryan Yates of Burrell HS (1E4V) coached his squad to the team-title at the Brookville Duals, beating Ridgway (56-15), Mercer (61-15), Northern Lehigh (42-30), Reynolds (39-21), and defending state champion Fort LeBoeuf (46-22).
Remember: You can nominate and vote for your students and coaches on a weekly basis.
To nominate and vote for your favorite Army Strong Wrestler/Coach, please visit http://www.thesportsflash.com.