Nominations are in for Week 5 of the Army STRONG Wrestler/Wrestling Coach of the Year for Pennsylvania, honoring Pennsylvania’s best high school wrestlers and coaches. Anyone can vote for the weekly winner online at http://www.TheSportsFlash.com. Voting ends at 9:00 P.M. EST on Thursday, Jan. 20. Winner announced on Friday, Jan. 21.
10 students were nominated from the following high schools. To vote for your favorite wrestler, please visit http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm
or E-mail your vote to ArmySTRONG.PA@TheSportsFlash.com with the name of your wrestler.
1. Geoff Alexander of Shady Side Academy (1E5G) won his third title at the Allegheny County Wrestling Championships, besting Upper St. Clair’s Mack McGuire, 3-0, in the 125-pound final.
2. Jerome Beers of South Western HS (1E2M) went 5-0 in helping his team to the title at the Mechanicsburg Wildcat Duals. Beers pinned four of his five opponents in the 189-pound weight-class.
3. Laike Gardner of Biglerville HS (1E2M) earned his 100th career win with a pin of York Suburban’s Joshua Miller-Sentz in 40 seconds in his 135-pound match in the Canners’ 64-9 victory.
4. Dylan Killian of Annville-Cleona HS (1E3P) went 5-0 with five pins at the Bishop McDevitt Duals, improving to 24-0 on the season and become the school’s all-time winningest wrestler with 125 wins.
5. August Mizia of Bentworth HS (1E1M) won the 171-pound title and the Most Outstanding Wrestler at the Tri-County Tournament, recording an 11-2 major decision over Fort Cherry’s Sam Guidi in the final.
6. Mike Ottinger of Parkland HS (1E9H) won the 160-pound title at the Escape the Rock Tournament, knocking off Western Wayne’s Casey Fuller, 3-1, in the championship bout.
7. Rodney Sunday of Dallastown Area Senior HS (1E2T) improved to 17-2 on the season with a pin of Central York’s Brandon Topper in 5:46 in a 35-34 win. Sunday, a freshman, wrestles at 103, but wrestled at 112 against Central York.
8. Lorenzo Thomas of Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS (1E5P) won the title at 152 and earned the Most Outstanding Wrestler honor at the Allegheny County Wrestling Championships.
9. Josh Visokey of Perry Traditional Academy (1E5A) is a two-time regional qualifier and won the regional title at 215 as a junior. This season, Visokey is 6-2 and currently ranked 7th in the Northwest Region.
10. Derrick Wilson of Waynesburg Central HS (1E5W) won the 119-pound championship at the Tri-County Wrestling Tournament, pinning Connellsville’s Ethan Kenney in 1:50 for the title.
Six coaches were nominated from the following high schools. To cast your vote, go to http://www.thesportsflash.com/ARMY-WRESTLING-PA-WK1.htm.
1. Sonny Abe of Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS (1E5P) coached his team to the team-title at the Allegheny County Wrestling Championships with 225 points to beat second-place North Allegheny (200.5). Six Viking wrestlers advanced to weight-class finals at the event.
2. Jeff Karam of Bethlehem Catholic HS won the team-title at the Escape the Rock Tournament at Central Rock South with four wrestlers advancing to the title round. Bethlehem Catholic topped Parkland, 172-159.5.
3. Dave Marko of Claysburg-Kimmel HS (1E2B – AGR; 1E2S – RA) won his 200th career match in a win over Northern Cambria.
4. Jon Mykut of Huntingdon Area Senior HS (1E7A) has led his team to a 12-0 start to the season with a 36-23 win over Claysburg-Kimmel at the Richland Duals. Huntingdon went 8-0 in the two-day event.
5. Jeff Sweigard of Central Dauphin SHS (1E3D) led his team to a sweep of the inaugural Central Dauphin Duals, scoring 48 bonus points out of a possible 70. Six Ram wrestlers went 5-0 in the event.
6. Joe Throckmorton of Waynesburg Central HS (1E5W) coached his squad to the team-title at the Tri-County Tournament, besting second-place Canon-McMillan, 1785-159.5.
Remember: You can nominate and vote for your students and coaches on a weekly basis.
To nominate and vote for your favorite Army Strong Wrestler/Coach, please visit http://www.thesportsflash.com.